Forge-Test
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Caihlem
Administrator
Perv Master

AdministratorPerv Master
Caihlem

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2007-06-18

[The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot Empty
PostSubject: [The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot   [The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot EmptyMon 19 Jul - 1:11

Making a Heart Knot

[img][/img]

A Heart Knot is a cross between a celtic infinity symbol and a basic heart.
This tutorial uses almost exclusively the Path Tool, so if you are not familiar with it, it's better to try more simple designs first.
In this tutorial, I will be giving both steps and information about the steps. For simplicity, the extra information will be in italic so as those who aren't interested don't have to read.

Getting Started...

1. First of all, open a new image, 400px by 400 px with a transparent background.
I advise working with big pictures first and then eventually sizing the final result down. This is because sizing down generally erases mishaps that may occur along the way, whereas on the other end sizing up reveals mishaps.

2. (Optional) Create a new layer named "Guides". Add a guideline horizontally and vertically at 200px (Image > Guides > New Guide). At the center, draw a line going upwards. After, add another two of approximately the same length going towards the bottom corners. The idea is to have a three-line star at the center of the image.
The most important aspect of this tutorial is to visualise what you will be aiming for. This guide will serve as a mark for when making the knots.
Also, I'm not precising this later on, but I advise to use one layer per step. This isn't obliged but it'll allow you to work each step independantly of the rest. This can be a real time saver if you need/want to re-do or edit a part.

[The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot Hk-110

3. Using the Path Tool. You will need to create a basic heart with a diamond shape inside on the top, as shown on the image.
As you might have noticed, the line of the heart drawn is blue. I'll be using the color code of blue for new lines, black for old lines. This is to make the tutorial, once again, easier to read with the steps clearly identified.
The diamond shape inside will serve later as a basis for the knot formed within the heart shape drawn.
Knots rarely are perfectly symetrical, so don't worry if yours isn't either. It adds an artisnal side to the image.

[The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot Hk-210

4. Using the diamond as a basis, draw a series of lines (2 per direction) within the heart, as shown on the image.
These will be the parts of the knot that will be passing inside the heart itself.
[The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot Hk-310

5. Now you will need to draw a second heart outside the first. This heart needs to be larger.
This will form the bulk of the heart visible at the end. It may not look like much for now, but you'll be erasing uneeded parts at the end.
[The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot Hk-410

6. Once the outer heart drawn, you will need to fill in the missing lines for the futur knot. Start by making the top of the right heart continue into the lower heart, and filling in a series of two lines. Next, you'll need to bring the lines on the top left towards the bottom right of the inner heart. Finally, don't forget the angle on the top-right of the inner heart. Your image should resemble the example.
This is so as the knot enters and exits the heart shape. You should be able to notice as of know the shape forming.
[img][/img]

Written by Caihlem
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Woman
Nessa

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: [The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot   [The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot EmptyTue 20 Jul - 14:45

Aww, that's really cool! Great tutorial Caihlem! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Caihlem
Administrator
Perv Master

AdministratorPerv Master
Caihlem

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2007-06-18

PostSubject: Re: [The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot   [The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot EmptyTue 20 Jul - 14:58

You haven't seen the end result yet tongue
and how the hell did you know about this tut? XD I never told anyone except Katt so far
Back to top Go down
Nessa
Woman
Nessa

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: [The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot   [The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot EmptyTue 20 Jul - 15:07

I just found it here while I was checking up on this new user supergirl after I got an email about a new register here! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot   [The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot Empty

Back to top Go down

[The Gimp] Making a Heart Knot
Page 1 of 1